Wimbledon is my favorite. Not that I don't like other tennis events. The US Open will always be special because it was the first match I ever watched. (The 1995 final between Agassi and Sampras to be exact.) And I've recently started following the Davis Cup after watching the US v. Switzerland tie that took place in Birmingham in March. (Really disappointed that Federer was "injured" and didn't make the trip. Loved seeing Andy, though!)
But I love Wimbledon the most. Maybe it's because it always falls on the 4th of July, one of my favorite holidays. Or, maybe it's because I'm usually at the beach during the last week and can watch the matches. Or, maybe it's because Pete Sampras is my all time favorite and he won 7 Wimbledons. Or, maybe it's all of that rolled into one, but I LOVE Wimbledon!
Today, Andy Roddick played Roger Federer in the final. Andy is currently my favorite player and Federer is second. (Nadal and Murray are 3rd and 4th in case you were wondering!) So, today was huge. Even though I do like Federer, I wasn't pulling for him at all! Andy was a long shot and he made it to the final! I wanted him to win SO badly!
It was a great match! Andy started off strong and it was pretty even the whole time with tie breakers in the 2nd and 3rd sets. The 5th set was decided 16-14! Not only was that the most number of 5th set games at Wimbledon, but also at any Grand Slam final! (Plus it was the only time during the whole match that Rog broke Andy's serve!)
Roger has won Wimbledon before. I think this was his 6th time to win. So winning wasn't the big deal today. His win gave him 15 Grand Slam titles. The record, held by none other than my favorite Pete, was 14 Grand Slams. Pete held the record for 7 years! It was nice to see Pete at Wimbledon and to graciously give over the record, but it still made me a little sad. I miss watching him play...
So, congratulations Federer! I'm looking forward to the US Open in September. Maybe Andy can go all the way then. (AND maybe I'll be able to get tickets to a match!)



No comments:
Post a Comment